Friday, January 20, 2012

Identity Collage



     Boy, oh boy, I can say that doing this collage was a lot of fun. Getting started, I drew blanks. Only because Mrs. Kiick told us we had to make it personal, I wasn't sure how to go about doing so. I even brought in a few meaningful things to inspire me. I ended up not even using any of those materials though. I put those materials back into safe-keeping, and reached for other inspirations. I painted a girl in gray-ish tones, not to resemble me completely, simply because I felt like doing so. I made sure her collarbone was noticeable, I have this thing for collarbones. Odd, I guess.. I just find them to be beautiful. I used modeling paste to add some texture into her hair and to some areas of the surface. I wanted to add a lot of color in the background, shades of color blended into each other. Different colors and textures to add depth, a little mystery, and wonder. So I did just that, and I really started to love it. What became a favorite part of my collage was the Koi Fish. I actually drew that onto my hand and wanted to incorporate it into my collage. I find Koi fishes to be beautiful, serene creatures. They can symbolize a lot of things, like good fortune, luck, family, peace, determination, courage, etc. I just took a large piece of tape, rubbed it onto my hand, then peeled it off. The ink on my hand transferred onto the tape perfectly, and I stuck it onto my collage. I love the transparency of it, kind of like the Koi fish is driftting in a sort of galaxy. I added little cut-out letters to spell "Dreamer", because that is exactly what I am. A dreamer. I felt like everything fit wonderfully together. My collage doesn't easily give away my identity, but it really does reveal a part of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment